Plymouth, N.H.--Sophomore right fielder Erica Fluskey (Trumbull, CT) went 4-for-6 with a run scored and an RBI as the Rhode Island College softball team was swept by Plymouth State in a Little East Conference doubleheader on the road on Thursday afternoon. Plymouth State took a 2-1 win in the opener and completed the sweep with a 5-3 victory in the nightcap..
Game One: Plymouth State 2, Rhode Island College 1
Game Two: Plymouth State 5, Rhode Island College 3
RIC (15-11, 2-6 LEC)
PSU (15-13, 8-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Fluskey was 2-for-2 with a run scored in the setback for the Anchorwomen.
• Plymouth State senior second baseman Mel Goss (Templeton, MA) was 1-for-3 with an RBI in the win for the Panthers.
• Senior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) suffered the loss (9-5) for RIC, allowing two runs on eight hits with six strikeouts.
• Junior Caitlyn Miller (Lee, NH) picked up the win (10-6) in the pitching circle for PSU, allowing one run on seven hits in a complete-game effort.
• RIC got on the board in the top of the third when Fluskey scored on a liner to left from senior catcher Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, RI) for the 1-0 advantage.
• Plymouth State knotted the game in the bottom of the fourth on an RBI double from Goss.
• The game headed into the bottom of the seventh tied, 1-1, when freshman pinch hitter Katie Burk (East Islip, NY) had an RBI bunt single to give the host Panthers the 2-1 victory.·
• Fluskey was 2-for-4 with an RBI, while Simmons and senior third baseman Cristin Chiaverini (Pawtucket, RI) each had two hits in the loss for the Anchorwomen.
• PSU senior right fielder Debra Morril (Concord, NH) was 3-for-4. Senior catcher Ashley Deyo (Dover, NH) went 2-for-3 with two RBI in the win for the Panthers.
• Senior Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) took the loss (5-4) for RIC.
• Senior Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, VT) earned the win (5-4) for Plymouth State, allowing one run on eight hits with two strikeouts in five innings of work, while Miller earned the save (3) in relief for the Panthers.
• Plymouth State took the lead with four runs in the bottom of the third, which included RBI singles from junior third baseman Jen Landers (Berlin, NH) and an RBI single from Deyo for the 4-0 advantage.
• The Anchorwomen cut the deficit in half with a pair of runs in the sixth. Junior shortstop Kelsey Burgess (North Providence, RI) had a two-out single to right to plate one run, and a second came around on a bases-loaded walk from freshman pinch hitter Katrina Kazen (Warwick, RI).
• The Panthers added an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth on a sacrifice fly from Deyo to push the score to 5-2.
• RIC chipped away in the top of the seventh when an RBI single from Fluskey made the score 5-3, but it wouldn't be enough as Plymouth State held on for the win.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at home with a doubleheader vs. UMass Boston on Friday, April 19 (4 p.m.).