Keene, N.H.--The Rhode Island softball team was swept at Keene State in a Little East Conference doubleheader on Sunday afternoon. Keene took a 7-6 victory in the opener and completed the sweep with a 9-5 win in the nightcap.
Game One: Keene State 7, Rhode Island College 6
Game Two: Keene State 9, Rhode Island College 5
RIC (17-15, 4-10 LEC)
Keene State (12-20, 7-9 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore first baseman Amber Wainwright (Taunton, MA) went 2-for-4 with five RBI, while sophomore right fielder Erica Fluskey (Trumbull, CT) was 3-for-4 in the loss for the Anchorwomen.
• Keene State sophomore right fielder Emma Pede (Monroe Township, NJ) was 3-for-4 with three RBI. Sophomore center fielder Cassie Woods (Mystic, CT) went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI.
• Senior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) took the loss (10-7) for RIC, allowing seven runs on 11 hits with three strikeouts in six innings.
• Senior pitcher Molly St. Germain (Dover, NH) earned the win (6-11) for Keene State, giving up six runs on 12 hits with eight strikeouts in seven innings.
• Keene State used a two-run double from Pede in the bottom of the third to take a 2-0 advantage.
• The Owls tacked five runs in the fourth, highlighted by an RBI double from Woods, to take a 7-0 lead.
• RIC climbed back into the game in the top of the fifth when a two-run single from Wainwright made the score, 7-2.
• The Anchorwomen made it, 7-3, on an RBI single from senior third baseman Cristin Chiaverini (Pawtucket, RI).
• A three-run double from Wainwright in the top of the sixth cut the squad's deficit to one, 7=-6, but RIC couldn't push the tying run across the plate as Keene State held on for the victory.
• Fluskey went 2-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI, while Wainwright was 1-for-3 with two RBI in the loss for RIC.
• Junior first baseman Courtney Votto (Durham, CT) paced Keene State, going 1-for-4 with a run scored and three RBI.
• Senior pitcher Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) suffered the loss (6-6) for RIC, giving up nine runs on 12 hits in 4.1 innings of work.
• Sophomore Alexis Blanchette (Hopkinton, NH) picked up the win (3-6) for Keene State, allowing two runs on three hits in four innings.
• Keene State jumped out to the early lead when the Owls tallied three runs in the bottom of the first, including an RBI double from Blanchette, for the, 3-0, advantage.
• An RBI single from senior designated player Molly St. Germain (Dover, NH) extended the Owls lead to four, 4-0, in the bottom of the second.
• RIC got on the board in the top of the fourth when a pair of RBI singles from Fluskey and junior shortstop Kelsey Burgess (North Providence, RI) cut the LSC lead down to a pair, 4-2.
• Keene State tacked on five runs in the bottom of the fifth, paced by a three-run home run from Votto, to make the score, 9-2.
• Once again, RIC responded in the top of the sixth and used a two-run double from Wainwright to trim the host's lead to five, 9-4.
• The Anchorwomen got within four, 9-5, on an RBI groundout from freshman second baseman Marissa Cushman (Cranston, RI), but that would be all the scoring for the contest as Keene State held on to complete the sweep.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will close out the regular season and the Little East slate with a doubleheader at Castleton State.