Ashland, Va.—The Rhode Island College softball team lost a doubleheader at Randolph-Macon on Monday afternoon. The Anchorwomen lost the opening contest, 8-0 (six innings), before falling to the Yellow Jackets, 6-0, in the nightcap.
Game One: Randolph-Macon 8, Rhode Island College 0 (six innings)
Game Two: Randolph-Macon 6, Rhode Island College 0
Rhode Island College (1-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Randolph-Macon scored once in the first inning, twice in the second and once in the third to build a 4-0 advantage. A three-run outburst in the fourth and a single run in the home half of the sixth ended the game early.
• Randolph-Macon freshman shortstop Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, VA) paced the host’s offense, going 2-for-3 with three runs scored and an RBI.
• RIC had just five hits in the setback, while the hosts banged out 12 knocks. Freshman pitcher Reilly Clancy (Narragansett, RI) took the loss (0-1), while RMC senior pitcher Candice Whittemore (Montpelier, VA) earned the win (5-1). She allowed just four hits and struck out nine in 5.0 innings of work. RIC senior pitcher Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) allowed just one run and struck out two in 2.1 innings of relief.
• Sophomore pitcher Madie Rhoads (Portsmouth, VA) held RIC to just four hits, while hurling five scoreless innings to pick up her fourth (4-1) victory of the year as Randolph-Macon blanked the Anchorwomen, 6-0, in the nightcap. She struck out nine on the day.
• The Yellow Jackets scored four times, aided by a RIC error, in the bottom of the first to build an early lead en route to the win. RIC senior pitcher Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) allowed just two earned runs and struck out two in a complete game effort.
• RIC senior catcher Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, RI) walked three times in the loss. Randolph-Macon sophomore third baseman Megan Smith (Lexington, VA) went 1-for-2 with three RBI to lead the Yellow Jackets.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play a doubleheader at Shenandoah on Tuesday, March 12 (noon).