Providence, R.I.—Rhode Island College junior forward Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, RI) finished with 10 points, seven rebounds, four steals, two blocks and a pair of assists, but the Anchorwomen lost, 59-58, on a last second shot vs. UMass Dartmouth in a Little East game played at The Murray Center on Tuesday evening.
UMass Dartmouth 59, Rhode Island College 58
UMass Dartmouth (11-3, 4-1 LEC)
Rhode Island College (10-4, 3-3 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Sophomore guard Sophia Guerrier (Waltham, MA) compiled eight points, six rebounds and four assists for the Anchorwomen.
• Sophomore guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) finished with 10 points, three boards, two assists and a pair of steals. Freshman forward Willcia McBorrough (Providence, RI) chipped in with six points, a team-high nine rebounds and two steals.
• UMass Dartmouth senior forward Nakira Examond (New Bedford, MA) led all scorers with 20 points, 10 rebounds, four assists and a pair of blocks.
• Senior guard Jess Korzec (West Brookfield, MA) had 14 points and five assists, while junior backcourt mate Ashley Brown (New Bedford, MA) rounded out the Corsair double figure scorers with an 11-point effort.
• The first quarter saw the game deadlocked, 14-14, before a pair of Examond free throws sent the visitors into the first intermission up by two, 16-14.
• A Korzec layup gave UMD a 27-20 advantage with 4:18 left in the second quarter, before RIC erupted for a 14-2 run to go into halftime up by five, 34-29.
• Trailing by seven, 38-31, early in the third quarter, a back-to-back three-pointers by Korzec and Brown, and a pair of Korzec free throws, put UMD on top by one, 39-38, with 6:14 left in the stanza.
• With 46 seconds left in the third, the Corsairs ran off five straight to go into the final frame up by five, 47-42.
• With 3:26 remaining in the fourth, UMD led by seven, 56-49. The Anchorwomen got a three-pointer by freshman guard Taylor Thompson (Greenville, SC), a jumper by Guerrier, and layups by freshman guard Maire Gallagher (Worcester, MA) and Young as part of an 8-0 run to build a two-point, 58-56, lead with 47 seconds left in the game.
• UMD got a free throw by junior forward Kayla McMahon (Hanover, MA) to pull within one with 35 seconds left. RIC was whistled for an offensive foul with 10 second left to set up the late game heroics.
• The Corsairs got two close range jumpers by Examond that failed to go in as the clock expired, but the officials put one second back on the game clock. Senior guard Danyel Gonzalez (Pawtucket, RI) found Korzec off a screen in the paint for a jumper at the buzzer to give the Corsairs the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• The Anchorwomen shot 40 percent (23-for-57) from the field, 31 percent (4-for-13) from three-point range and 62 percent (8-for-13) from the free throw line.
• The Corsairs shot 32 percent (20-for-62) from the field, 38 percent (6-for-16) from downtown and 65 percent (13-for-20) from the charity stripe.
• RIC dominated the glass, 48-35, in the game. The two team combined for 43 turnovers (UMD 19, RIC 24).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at UMass Boston on Saturday, Jan. 12 (1 p.m.).