Bristol, R.I.—Freshman 141 lbs. Nathan Lackman (Wernersville, PA) went 3-2 as the Rhode Island College wrestling team placed 14th at the Roger Williams Invitational on Friday and Saturday.
• The Anchormen placed 14th (17 teams) with a team score of 37.5. Johnson & Wales took home the title with a team score of 174.0.
HEAD COACH JAY JONES ON THE INVITATIONAL
• "As a coach, I am really disappointed that we worked so hard and improved so much, but didn't get the results to show for it. With a mix of a few solid veterans and some newcomers with potential, we need to finish better in order to score. That's our goal this week to work on: finishing takedowns, pinning opportunities and capturing wins."
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Senior 157 lbs. Sam Lindblom (Waterford, CT) went 3-2. Lindblom drew a tough seed in the toughest weight class and came just short of placing. He faced nationally-ranked TCNJ freshman Matt Sacco (Bridgewater, NJ) in the first round and earned a tremendous upset win. After another win, he faced another nationally-ranked grappler in Cortland junior Gianno Silba (Newark Valley, NY) in the quarterfinal and lost on a last-second takedown.
• Senior 165 lbs. Zach Ford (Flagler Beach, FL) went 3-2 and came up one victory shy of placing.
• Freshman 174 lbs. Jett Tancsik (Centereach, NY) went 3-2.
• Junior 184 lbs. David Sblendorio (Mountainside, NJ) and senior 285 lbs. Jordan Zanni (North Providence, RI) each went 2-2.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will see action at Springfield's Doug Parker Invitational on Nov. 23.