Providence, R.I. --Junior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made a season-high 11 saves as the Rhode Island College women's soccer team dropped a 2-0 decision vs. WPI at Alumni Field on Tuesday afternoon.
WPI 2, Rhode Island College 0
Rhode Island College (1-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• WPI controlled the action early and took a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute when sophomore forward Sofia Orrico (Bethel, CT) blasted in a shot from 10 yards out after a feed down the sideline from junior midfielder Kristen McCrea (Weymouth, MA).
• The visiting Engineers took the one-goal lead heading into halftime, holding a commanding, 14-5, advantage in shots for the stanza.
• The Anchorwomen nearly tied the game in the 70th minute when senior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) took a corner kick. She lofted the ball right into the box where junior midfielder Christina Armstrong (Wakefield, RI) one-timed a shot that was cut down by WPI senior netminder Gabriela Hoops (Stonington, CT).
• WPI extended its lead in the 82nd minute when junior midfielder Becca Hapgood (Halifax, MA) lofted in a shot from 25 yards out, just over the reach of Edwards, off the crossbar and into the net to give the Engineers an insurance goal.
BY THE NUMBERS
• DeGrooth led the way for RIC with five shots in the setback.
• Hoops registered five stops in the shutout win (2-0) for WPI. She also was extremely aggressive in cutting down several long passes by the Anchorwomen to prevent shot attempts.
• WPI held a 24-8 advantage in shots for the contest and a 6-5 advantage in corner kicks.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Salve Regina on Saturday, Sept. 8 (Noon).