Newport, R.I.--Rhode Island College senior forward Brittany DeGrooth (Westerly, RI) scored her fourth goal of the season as the Rhode Island College women's soccer team suffered a 3-1 setback at Salve Regina on Saturday afternoon.
Salve Regina 3, Rhode Island College 1
Rhode Island College (1-3)
Salve Regina (2-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The two teams battled through a scoreless first half with each team registering 10 shots in the stanza.
• RIC got on the board quickly in the second half when DeGrooth scored with an assist from sophomore midfielder Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) to give the Anchorwomen the 1-0 advantage in the 49th minute.
• Salve Regina answered at the 54:41 mark when an unassisted goal from junior defender Katie Szemreylo (Marlborough, CT) knotted the game at 1-1.
• Sophomore forward Jamie Robert (Holyoke, MA) scored her first goal of the contest, what would prove to be the game-winner, in the 69th minute to put the Seahawks up, 2-1.
• Robert added an insurance goal in the 82nd minute to seal the 3-1 win for Salve Regina.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Junior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) notched 10 saves for RIC (1-3), while senior netminder Carly Pala (Milford, CT) registered eight stops in the win for Salve Regina.
• Salve Regina recorded 19 shots in the game, while the Anchormen notched 17 shots.
• RIC held an 8-6 advantage in corner kicks for the game.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Bridgewater State on Tuesday, Sept. 11 (6 p.m.).