Providence, R.I.--Rhode Island College scored three goals in the first 30 minutes of action to propel the Anchorwomen past Salve Regina, 3-1, in collegiate women's soccer action played at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 3, Salve Regina 1
Rhode Island College (2-1)
Salve Regina (2-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC scored just 2:36 into the first half when senior midfielder Kat Carrillo (Central Falls, RI) banged in a corner kick pass from senior midfielder Breanne Ford (Schenectady, NY) to give the hosts the lead in their home opener.
• Sophomore forward Alyson Morris (Putnam, CT) took a nice through pass from junior forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) and beat Salve Regina freshman goalkeeper Jenna Park (Barrington, RI) to give the Anchorwomen a 2-0 advantage in the 14th minute.
• Freshman midfielder Alexandra Amore (Saunderstown, RI) gave RIC an important insurance goal in the 29th minute when she intercepted a Seahawk clearing pass and fired in her second goal of the season from 20 yards out.
• The Anchorwomen went into halftime up by three, 3-0, and holding the advantage in both shots, 14-3, and corner kicks, 5-4.
• The second half saw both teams struggle to gain quality offensive chances as both squad's totaled five shots.
• The Seahawks spoiled RIC senior goalkeeper Erica Edwards' (North Kingstown, RI) shutout bid in the 64th minute when senior midfielder Breanna Gustin (Stoneham, MA) scored her first of the season. Sophomore midfielder Anna Downes (Barrington, RI) and freshman forward Meagan McLaughlin (East Hampton, CT) helped set up the goal.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Edwards made five saves in the win (2-1).
• Park stopped nine in the loss (2-1).
• The Anchorwomen led in shots, 19-8, and both teams registered six corner kicks.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Wesleyan on Tuesday, Sept. 10 (7 p.m.).