Smithfield, R.I.--Freshman Wenona Alexander (Warwick, RI) registered three first place finishes as the Rhode Island College women's swimming team fell to Western Connecticut, 96-90, at Bryant University's Chace Athletic Center on Thursday evening. The meet was the final home meet for senior Madison Lane (Barrington, RI), who was honored in a ceremony prior to the event.
Western Connecticut (4-2), 96
Rhode Island College (0-6), 90
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Alexander finished first in the 50-yard butterfly (30.56), 200-yard IM (2:33.04) and the 100-yard butterfly (1:19.53).
• Lane finished first in the 200-yard freestyle (2:41.35), was second in the 50-yard backstroke (37.74) and also had a second place finish in the 500-yard freestyle (7:16.07). She also swam the lead leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay (2:03.37).
• Freshman Athena Sampalis (West Greenwich, RI) took first in the 100-yard backstroke (1:17.62) and was second in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:22.40).
• Freshman Mary McBride (Rumford, RI) recorded a first place finish in the 500-yard freestyle (6:57.35) and was second in the 100-yard freestyle (1:08.65). She also swam the second leg of the first place 200-yard freestyle relay (2:03.37) for the Anchorwomen.
• RIC sophomore Emily Butterfield (Cranston, RI) finished third in the 50-yard breaststroke (39.31), fourth in the 50-yard freestyle (31.45) and swam the second leg of the 200-yard freestyle relay (2:03.37) that notched a first place finish.
• Western Connecticut was led by freshman Molly Henry (Pound Ridge, NY), who took first in the 50-yard backstroke (32.14), first in the 50-yard freestyle (27.53) and first in the 100-yard freestyle (1:00.63).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Westfield on Saturday, Jan. 26 (1 p.m.).