Norton, Mass.--Senior outside hitter Jillian Ward (Coventry, RI) posted her fifth double-double of the season with 14 kills and 11 digs as Rhode Island College fell, 3-0, at Wheaton in collegiate women's volleyball action on Thursday evening.
Wheaton 3, Rhode Island College 0
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Lyons edged RIC, 32-30, in the first set, before taking the second (25-20) and third (25-23) frames to pick up the win.
• Ward also pitched in with an ace and a block in the setback. Freshman outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) and junior middle hitter Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, RI) each registered eight winners.
• Freshman outside hitter Adara Hamilton (Mercer Island, WA) paced the Wheaton offense with 10 kills and 13 digs. Junior setter Becca Houghton (Emmanus, PA) handed out 36 assists. Senior outside hitter Cat MacGregor (North Andover, MA) registered 25 digs.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .133 (38-19-143) for the match. Wheaton hit .182 (44-19-137).
• The hosts totaled 78 digs, while RIC compiled 67.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Clark (11 a.m.) for a tri-match with Bridgewater State (1 p.m.) on Saturday, Sept. 29.