Plymouth, N.H-- Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) led the way for the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team with 12 kills and four digs as the Anchorwomen fell at Plymouth State, 3-2 (24-26, 25-23, 26-24, 14-25, 9-15), in Little East action at Foley Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
Plymouth State 3, Rhode Island College 2
Plymouth State University (21-3, 4-0 LEC)
Rhode Island College (6-12, 1-4 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The first set was back and forth in its entirety as neither side was able to build much of a lead. RIC held a late, 24-23, advantage before the Panthers scored three straight points to close out the set and take a 1-0 lead in the match.
• The Anchorwomen trailed late in the second set, 22-20, before using a 5-1 scoring run to close out the stanza, 25-23.
• The hosts dominated the majority of the third set, building a lead as large as nine, 18-9, before the Anchorwomen gained momentum to storm back within a point of the lead, 23-24, and used a 3-0 run the close out the Panthers by a pair, 26-24, and take a 2-1 lead in the contest.
• Plymouth used an early, 10-3, lead in the fourth stanza that eventually led to a 25-14 victory to tie the match, 2-2, heading into the fifth and final set.
• RIC jumped out to a 2-1 lead in the fifth set, which saw both teams swap points, before the Panthers went on a 7-1 scoring run to capture the set, 15-9, and win the league match.
• Junior outside hitter Jenaeya Evans (Marietta, GA) led the match with 19 digs.
• PSU junior right-side hitter Carabeth Norklun (Goffstown, NH) led the match with 18 kills.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .149 (46-24-148), while PSU hit .205 (61-26-171)
• PSU led in kills, 61-46 and digs, 68-63.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island will play Bridgewater State at Plymouth State this afternoon (2 p.m.).